Thursday 10 October 2013

The Day The World Changed, Forever ...



They say that - whether American or not - the majority of us who are of more 'mature' years can remember where we were and what we were doing when we heard the news that JFK had been assassinated ...


We were living with my grandmother in Ireland at the time.

Even though I was just a small child, I have a clear memory of her, returning from an early-morning visit to the local shops that Saturday.

As she walked into the room where my father and I were, the first thing she said was that 'President Kennedy' had been shot and killed the previous day.

At the time, I didn't really know who President Kennedy was.

Of course the news was in all the Irish and U.K. papers.
It had also obviously been on RTÉ and BBC television – but my Grandmother didn't have a television set.

Yes, I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard the news that JFK had been assassinated.


But now I tend to remember the day for a very different reason:

It was Saturday, 23rd of November 1963
- and my Grandmother DIDN'T HAVE A TELEVISION SET ...